Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fun food

No disrespect intended to any local restaurants, but living in the Hereford Zone means that eating out often involves grabbing a table while running errands in, say, Cockeysville. That's why a recent review of Piv's Pub in The Baltimore Sun caught my eye. I found it interesting because it spoke to some of the issues that matter to me when I go out to eat. Moreover, much of the review rang true.

The review described the food as "hit or miss," but praised the restaurant's atmosphere and fun factor. I would not disagree with the description of a Cajun salmon dish that the reviewer seemed to find flawed. But I concur with the designation of the light-fare size penne pasta with blackened chicken as a "good deal."

Speaking of deals, it's worth noting that you can sometimes find a money-off coupon for Piv's if you keep your eyes open. In fact, they do the birthday club thing -- which was worth up to $20 off my last tab, as I recall. (Are you detecting a theme here?)

In the end, the reviewer notes the "good buzz" of the renovated dining room, and gives a thumbs up to the feel of the lounge. He concludes that the best approach may be to come for an Orioles game, and ask around to find out what best to order.

I have taken in ballgames at Piv's, and it is a lot of fun. In fact, when the Ravens played the Dolphins in the playoffs last season, and Ed Reed picked off a pass and zig-zagged around the field for a long touchdown -- remember that play? -- the packed Piv's bar was as electric as any place could be.




1 comment: